Lets learn more about the
“Mother of all healing”
A devotional note from-
Dr. Nitika Kohli (M.D)
Leading ayurvedic consultant
Ayurveda is a vedic text that acknowledges balanced living for healthy & prosperous you. Ayurveda is known to be an age old science that holds wisdom which constantly reminds us that the entire web of life is beautifully interlaced. This vast health system has a unique & intuitive approach towards wellness as it aims to bring harmonious balance between the internal & external world. Ayurveda is
“The union of Shareera (body), Indriya (sense organs), Satva (mind) and Atma (soul)”.
शरीरेन्द्रिय सत्वात्मा संयोगो। – चरक संहिता १।४२
śarīrendriya satvātmā saṃyogo।1.42
Ayurveda stabilizes principal energies with inner consciousness
Just like everyone has a unique identity, as per Ayurveda each individual has a particular or unique pattern of energies that maintains the normal body’s physiology. According to Ayurvedic philosophy the entire cosmos is an interplay of the energies of five elements known as Panchmahabhoot- Space, Air, Water, Fire & Earth. & Ayurveda groups these five elements into three basic energies-
VATA- PITTA-KAPHA known as “TRIDOSHA”.
These energies or tridoshas are the basic fundamental constitution of the body, which in equilibrium state brings wellness & in imbalanced state cause illness/troubles. Although classically there is no direct modern correlation of these energies but can be relate with some basic biological functioning of the body as-
- Vata is the energy of movement
- Pitta is the energy of digestion & metabolism
- Kapha is the energy of lubrication & structure
Agni on the other hand is the universal principle of transformation that manifests waste product after digestion, eliminates digestive toxins (Aama) & ensures optimal functions of overall physical & mental wellbeing.
Healing theory of Ayurveda
The foundation of Ayurvedic treatment relies upon balancing these energies & agni. When these credential factors become excessive or deficient, known as “Doshic imbalance” , they cause disease/trouble & to resolve these doshic imbalances, Ayurveda offers age old texts (samhita) including “Charak samhita, Sushruta samhita” which presents clear guidelines on how to arrest & analyze the disturbed state.
For more appropriate detailed description, prevention & treatment of these imbalances (diseases) starting from normal physiology, types of disorders, causes of disorder, day to day preventive ritual (Ritu charya, Din charya), procedures including Surgical, gynecological falls under eight distinct branch of Ayurveda including
- Kayachikitsa or the practice of general medicine
- Kaumara-bhṛtya or Pediatrics
- Salyatantra or various techniques of surgery
- Shalakya Tantra or treatment of ears, nose, mouth, etc.
- Bhutavidya or the study of spirits
- Agadatantraor study of toxicology
- Rasayana Tantra or research of tonic
- Vajakaraṇatantra or aphrodisiacs
With the raising suffering & established facts by various researches it is well evaluated that Ayurveda is not an hypothetical science but a potential base that not only focuses on curing the root cause of a disease but also works on the preventive measures. Ayurveda shastra has justified the definition of complete health ages ago by saying
स्वस्थस्य स्वास्थ्य रक्षणं, आतुरस्य विकार प्रशमनं। (चरक संहित सूत्र ३०।२६)
This the reason why today modern era is showing immense inclination towards this well established science-
Today the definition of Ayurveda is different for each group of people
- For an Ayurvedacharya- It is a science that cures Viyadhi & bring harmonious balance in life by making valuable changes in overall diet & lifestyle changes
- For older generations- Ayurveda is the correct way of living that keeps us away from disease & extends life span.
- For yoga believer- It is a eternal connection between nature, mind, body & soul
- For the young generation- Ayurveda is a trending way of living that matches all their statement goals starting from natural personal care products to ayurvedic aahar (Diet).
Today Ayurveda has evolved with time but has never compromised with its principal & values. Ayurveda has always worked in order to disconnect the world from dis-ease & will continue to offer a healthy, prosperous future to the universe.