According to recent reports published in the International Journal of Research in Orthopaedics, 2021, among Indian adults, nearly one out of two have osteopenia (low bone density) and one out of five have osteoporosis (a condition in which the bone become brittle & fragile). The data signifies that from kids to the ladies, every member in the family is either suffering from low bone density or is more prone to have one in times to come.
The suffering is mainly because from sitting on a chair to do daily chores our bones are under constant load. That’s why we always recommend our patients to indulge in a healthy living mantra, to keep their bone health in check. Here are some ways you can increase your bone density and keep them healthy for a very long time.
- Calcium helps in building bone density in a major way. So, an average person should consume 1000mg of calcium daily as per the International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF). For that one must include milk, yogurt, cheese, green leafy vegetables, legumes, and seafood in their diet.
- Providing natural calcium in your body is very important for both women and men after the age of 35, so inculcating herbs & bhasam (Ayurvedic formulations) like Shatavari, vashlochan, mukta pisthi, godanti basam in your routine is extremely important. Always consume this preparation under medical supervision.
- Bone health can also be improved by regularly engaging in activities like yoga or exercising for at least 30 minutes a day. Another reason, bone health is poor in India, are we eat a lot of processed food that is made up of refined flour which should be avoided if you have low bone density.
- Another amazing gift of Ayurveda is sesame seeds, which are high in fiber and have 22% calcium in them. This is why people must have sesame seeds in their daily routine. Also, for best results, sesame seeds must be consumed early morning.
- Almonds, the most popular dry fruit found easily in our kitchen, are also very beneficial if you want to increase your bone health. As almonds contain calcium, zinc, vitamin K, protein, and magnesium. Eating soaked almonds every day in the morning can surely help you increase bone density quickly.
- More importantly, if you want to increase your bone health try to avoid the consumption of tea, coffee, and soda. These are like the enemies of bone health. Ayurveda suggests that anything that decreases the calcium quotient from your body, must be avoided.
- Oiling your joints and having a hot water bath every alternative day can provide your bones the care they need.
- Another way to increase your bone health is by eating a lot of leafy vegetables. India has always been a country that is rich in leafy vegetable variety. We have a varied range of vegetables in the house that can help our bodies in so many ways. So, to increase your bone health, include a lot of leafy vegetables in your diet. Consume spinach once every week to provide your body with the right kind of nutrients and vitamins they need to stay healthy.
- Bone health concerns are indeed alarming in India. That’s why more and more people are going through medical emergencies. Therefore, to avoid such surgical procedures like knee replacement operations and lower bone strength tests, one must take care of their bones from the start.
- In the process of keeping your bone health in check, reduce the consumption of alcohol as well for sustainable results.
Taking care of your bones is important especially these days where we are surrounded by soda drinks, coffee, and tea cultures. But, it’s always smart to take all possible precautions before facing major damage.